Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I've noticed something strange about me. Multivitamins, specifically, (pardon my branding) Centrum knocks me out. I usually get through the day, though with a bit of tiredness all through out. However, today was different.

I took calcium tablets today, at home in West Ave, QC. By the time we reached Katipunan, I was asleep-- a time span of around 20 mins. I only woke up when we reached Paranaque. A good 30 or even 45 mins later. Even then, I only stayed awake because I knew I'd have to wake up again when we got to our house. Once we arrived, I was awake for about 15 minutes before I retired again.

Apparently, I'm not alone in this. I googled the issue and learned that a lot of people suffer this condition with usually the same aforementioned brand. And it seems that there may be an issue with what kind of minerals are taken. The greatest culprit is supposedly Rock Calcium.

Rock Calcium is essentially chalk. Its Base qualities make the body work harder before it can break down the mineral and absorb it. Even when it does get absorbed, usually only 5% of the rock-based mineral is used by the body.

So, in this case, I took Clusivol early in the morning, and then additional Calcium tablets in the afternoon. Perhaps my elevated level of calcium and other minerals made my body work too hard to digest everything. Of course, I cannot discount the fact that I haven't been sleeping much, and went on a UP hike today.

I plan to experiment with my Vitamin and Mineral intake and post the results here. We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment